Home-Start Portsmouth is a voluntary organization which offers free support to families with a least one child under 5 in the PO1 - PO6 area. It works in partnership with other agencies and organizations to give children the best start in like that is possible, including a Ready for School programme and parent mentoring.
Stay & Play groups are facilitated by volunteers in Family Hubs across the city. Volunteers plan and deliver a variety of engaging activities for families and their children, encouraging play and social interaction.
Depending on the Family Hub you volunteer in, your role will include some of the following:
- Planning group activities and engaging with coordinator to access resources.
- Obtain feedback from families attending the group to build into on-going planning.
- Setting up/pack away the venue.
- Welcoming and engaging with the children and parents and carers that visit the group/ hub.
- A willingness to be involved in the children's activities.
- Helping maintain the cleanliness of the equipment used by families.
- Assisting in the completion of relevant paperwork/registrations.
- Take appropriate action should any safeguarding situations arise.
- Maintaining and promoting the values and boundaries of the Family Hub.
- Supporting workplace induction for new volunteers
- Report any environmental concerns to frontline reception staff.
A volunteer undertaking this role must have:
- An understanding of the needs of young children and families.
- A willingness to lead groups as part of a supportive and successful team.
- A supportive and non-judgmental attitude and approach.
- Good communication skills.
- Satisfactorily completed relevant training.
- A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
- 2 satisfactory references.
Volunteers in all Family Hub volunteer roles need to be positive, committed, reliable and willing to learn. Volunteers should be able to commit to a minimum of 2 hours per week. In addition you will be required to access supervision and training required for the role.
- Limited Physical Access
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Will require a criminal record check (DBS)
- Will require references
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 10/06/2020
End Date: 06/04/2024
More Opportunities from Home Start Portsmouth
Home Visiting Volunteers
Home Start Portsmouth
Project Catalyst Consultant
School governor - Milton Park primary school
Portsmouth School Governors
Waterfront Garden Centre
Session Support volunteer
Knit Mini Woolley Donkeys!
The Donkey Sanctuary