Volunteering is not boring!
Volunteers don’t just sit in offices filling in forms or taking elderly people for a walk around the garden (although we do have volunteers who do both those things – and enjoy it). Volunteers also have:
- Jumped out of a plane and experienced the extreme high adrenaline thrill of skydiving 3,000 feet to raise money for charity
- Visited places like Nepal, Machu Pichu, the Sahara Desert and other exotic places
- Run, cycled, walked, danced, walked across hot coals, ridden motorbikes and much more – all as part of various fund-raising activities.
There are thousands of opportunities and there are things that you are passionate about and you can do to make a difference.
For example, you could:
- Coach a local football team
- Do someone’s shopping
- Be a sports commentator
- Design a charity’s website
- Walk someone’s dog
- Help plant trees.
Ok, so we all know you are going to get the ‘feel good’ factor out of volunteering, but what else can you get?
- Learn skills that can be included on your CV; many employers now ask what volunteering you have done on their job application forms including the Police, the Fire Service and the Armed Forces
- Gain the confidence that will nurture your leadership skills and give your self-esteem a boost
- Get trained to do things that will stay with you for the rest of your life; in some cases this includes accreditation.
Search ‘Under 18‘ on our keyword search or click this link https://volunteer.hiveportsmouth.com/search-results/?postcode=&radius=5&keyword=under+18