We are aiming to make hedgehog and bug houses for every school possible. We want to create habitats for wildlife that are in need in our ever growing cities whilst educating children that local animals are endangered and need our help.
Wildlife homes will be put in schools so that children can check on the homes and feel responsible for saving British wildlife that are on the endangered list.
You will be required to make hedgehog houses out of wood and stained with protective paint so they will not rot away too quickly outside. This stain/paint must be safe for animals and can be purchased from any hardware shop. The roof should be on an angle and water proofed so again it lasts longer outside. Designs for hedgehog homes are available online but all we are expecting is the most simplest of homes. Unless you feel like making a hedgehog mansion!
Bug house designs are also available online and will be sent to schools to encourage children to go on bug hunts and love nature.
Suitable for under 18s
- Basic woodwork skills and your imagination are needed for this voluntary opportunity. You need to create some new habitats for wildlife that are losing spaces in our ever growing cities.
- Be able to source/purchase own supplies (ask around for scrap wood, B&Q have a scrap wood bin, some companies will give you pallets).
- No criminal record (DBS) check required
- Suitable for 14yr olds
- Suitable for 15yr olds
- Suitable for 16 year olds
- Suitable for Families - (under 16's with an adult)
- Suitable for Under 18's
When can I volunteer?
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.