Personal Choice is a project for the community, and we recognise that the community in Portsmouth, particularly the Charles Dickens ward need more accessible information, advice, support and opportunities for social integration to address the problems of economic and social deprivation and improve their independence and wellbeing.
For this ad-hoc role we are looking for volunteers to come and speak at our social groups, where most of the attendees are over 50. The 3 social groups are very friendly, chatty, and eager to learn and hear about new things. Generally group sizes are between 8-15 people and are very informal and relaxed. Welcome Club runs Monday 10:30-12:30, Wednesday Club runs Wednesday 10:30-12:30 and ‘Prime Time’ runs Wednesday 2-3pm. All of the groups really enjoy learning and hearing about new or different subject areas. You may have certain hobbies or research topics that you feel the groups may be interested in, these might include: • Arts • History • Photography • Literature/poetry • Culture/Heritage • Film • Singing or Choir • Dance • Crafts • Hobbies etc. If you feel this is right for you, please apply!
• Friendly and interested in talking to people of all ages and backgrounds • Passionate about your subject matter • Have a hobby or interest that you can describe clearly and enthusiastically • Confident when talking to group sizes of 8-15 (approx).
- Limited Physical Access
We are an accessibility friendly workplace
- No criminal record (DBS) check required
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Suitable for 14yr olds
- Suitable for 15yr olds
- Suitable for 16 year olds
- Suitable for Families - (under 16's with an adult)
- Suitable for Under 18's
- Will require a criminal record check (DBS)
- Will require a driving licence
- Will require own vehicle or access to a vehicle
- Will require references
When can I volunteer?
Welcome Club - Monday 10:30-12:30 Wednesday Club - Wednesday 10:30-12:30 \'Prime Time\' social group - Wednesday 2-3pm With the Welcome and Wednesday Clubs we would suggest starting the talk at 11am, and probably running to around 12pm. ‘Prime Time’ - the talk would start around 2pm, and last to about 3pm (approximately) The talks would probably last about 30-45mins (approx) with time for questions. We find informal talks work better, but it is up to you how you wish to present. This is an ad-hoc volunteering opportunity, and if you wish you could spread the talks over a few months.
1a Upper Arundel Street
More Opportunities from Personal Choice
Portsmouth and Havant Live at Home Scheme
Together in the Hive Portsmouth
Red Sauce Theatre