As a Side by Side volunteer you will enable people living with dementia to keep doing the things they love. You will enable them to stay connected in their communities and build their confidence to stay active and engaged in social and recreational activities. What you’ll be doing:
- Participating in activities you share an interest in with a person with dementia to help them to keep doing the things they love – or pick up new ones!
- To give advice to people living with dementia and signpost them to services to enable them to live well
- Assisting and supporting people living with dementia
- Communicating regularly with the coordinator and/or lead volunteers
This role will suit you if you:
- Want to support, enable and empower people living with dementia
- Are a good verbal communicator with great listening skills, especially face to face
- Are happy volunteering on your own and keeping in touch with your team
- Can provide a committed, flexible approach and who is willing to learn
What you can expect from us:
- We will make you feel welcome, included and respected
- Training, guidance and support to ensure safeguarding and service standards
- You’ll have a role manager who will support you throughout your journey with us
- Out of pocket expenses (e.g. travel) agreed before you start in line with our policy
- We’ll keep you up to date with relevant policies and procedures that apply to your role
- You’ll have access to learning, development and engagement opportunities for volunteers
What we need from you:
- To ensure the safety and security of people living with dementia we ask for:
- Two references & proof of identity
- To put the role into practice most effectively and to ensure a consistent service for people living with dementia this role is recommended to continue for at least 6 months.
- Essential learning to be completed before starting in your role will take about two and a half days - this will include face-to-face information sessions and e-learning modules.
- You will need to complete an enhanced without barred list DBS or Access NI check, in line with the legal requirements. A criminal record will not necessarily stop you being able to carry out this role.
Enjoy spending time with people, listening and chatting. Outgoing and have interests that may be of interest to others, fishing, walking, shopping etc. Patient and understanding.
- Limited Physical Access
- DBS check required
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Volunteers covered by insurance
When can I volunteer?
Be available for a few hours a week or fortnight and for up to 6 months minimum to provide consistency.
This opportunity has no specific location.
The Big Issue
Home Start Portsmouth