Could you spare a couple of hours each week to help people with limited mobility, shop independently?
Portsmouth Shopmobility provides manual and powered wheelchairs and scooters to help people with limited mobility access the City centre and shop independently. It can be used by young or old no matter whether their disability is temporary or permanent. Shopmobility is also available to both residents and visitors.
The Shopmobility Assistant Volunteer responsibilities would include:
- Meet and greet customers
- Store, charge and inspect the scooters for each booking
- Wipe down and check all equipment
- Report any problems or defects with the equipment to the manager
- Promote and display good scooter handling, driving and safety awareness.
- Support customers in parking their scooters
· Positive work ethic
· Confidence in using computers and the internet – IT literate
· Adapt to situations as and when required
· Good interpersonal skills, ability to empathise with users and to explain the service to potential users
· Assist customers/ other staff
· To provide support to individuals coming in to use the service
· Approachable and friendly
· English and maths skills
· Good time keeping
· Good knowledge of the city
· Willing to listen to suggestions and give constructive feedback
· Team player
· Confidence with meeting people/using the phone.
· To advise/guide customers on different types of scooters/products to best match what the customer needs
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Will require references
When can I volunteer?
Monday, Thursday and Friday Either 11am - 1pm or 1pm - 4pm
Community Kurling club on Monday afternoons
Plastic-Free Shop Steering Committee Member
The Package Free Larder
Gardening and Park Maintenance Volunteer
Volunteer Debt Relief Order Administrator
THE YOU TRUST/ Advice Portsmouth
Library Stock Carer