A Local Group is a team of people who share our passion for livelihood creating tools and get together to collect tools from their area. Many also arrange tool collections at local supermarkets, DIY stores and garden centres. Many also offer talks to local community groups and even speak on local radio. Some groups sort the tools before arranging collection and some even do some refurbishment, such as grinding off rust and fixing loose handles. To start you need somewhere to store tools, such as a vacant garage or big shed and the enthusiasm to gather together likeminded friends. Our local groups have a great community spirit and are a huge support for TWAM.
What will you be doing?
There are so many possibilities, but the main tasks usually undertaken are:
1. You will be collect tool from requests made by the general public through the TWAM website.
2. You will promote TWAM locally to generate your own tool donation requests.
3. You will store the tools until and arrange collection by a TWAM van.
4. You will sort the tools so all broken and unsuitable tools are removed before the van collects.
5. You will do basic tool refurbishment as facilities and skills allow
6. You will visit shows, farmers markets, local events etc. to promote TWAM and tool donation
7. You will offer talks and demonstrations to churches and other local groups to encourage their support.
8. You will work with your local Tool Collector, volunteer speaker and Community fundraiser to have a real impact on your community.
9. You will offer support to other potential groups who need advice on how to set up and run a group.
You may not do all of these things, but they are examples of what Local Groups do for TWAM.
What are we offering?
- TWAM will provide training and advice.
- We will also put you in touch with another local group who will offer advice and support.
- We will invite you to visit your nearest Refurbishment Centre and invite you to Volunteer Days and Open Days.
- We will include you in the Local Group Network which will offer support and resources to all groups and help them stay in touch with each other.
- We will provide you with leaflets, pull up banners, and promotional materials.
- We will also provide a leaflet just about your local group for you to distribute.
- We will provide materials for talks and, if needed, a projector and screen.
- You will have the support of the Volunteering Coordinator, Fundraising and Communications Officer, and Press Officer.
- You will be offered your own promotional page on the main TWAM website.
- TWAM will help with expenses, such as when needing to purchase grinding wheels for refurbishment, basic tools for refurbishment, and expenses if attending exhibitions. However, we permit local groups to sell unwanted tools to help cover their own costs and most try to be self financing.
- We will provide you with TWAM branded polo shirts and fleeces.
Finally, it is an amazing opportunity to build friendships,
impact your community, and transform live
- If you have a knowledge of tools or setting up and organising groups, that would be great, but if not, we can support you all the way.
- You decide when you meet, collect tools, and carry out refurbishment. Most groups meet 2-3 days a week between them.
- Anywhere within England and Wales (but not Devon or Cornwall).
No additional details recorded for this opportunity.
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 01/09/2023
End Date: 29/02/2024
You decide when you meet, collect tools, and carry out refurbishment. Most groups meet 2-3 days a week between them.
This opportunity has no specific location.
More Opportunities from Tools with a Mission
Portsmouth Music Festival
THE YOU TRUST/ Advice Portsmouth