The role is facilitating board games/activity sessions at Osprey Court - Moorings Way, Portsmouth, PO4 8JZ. Osprey Court is a housing facility that offers onsite care to tenants who may require additional support, there are 16 self-contained flats with a small communal lounge.
This small group session will run weekly on Thursdays from 11:00 until 12:00, but the volunteer will need to be available from 10:30 until 12:30 to set up/pack up from the session. This group is part of a wider Extra Care Service which is supporting the community development within Extra Care as well working with tenants who are experiencing loneliness/social isolation.
Care staff are always located on site and will support residents to and from the lounge area if required.
Ideal qualities we would look for are:
· Good communication skills.
· Be comfortable facilitating a small group, welcoming people, and initiating conversation.
· Be comfortable playing board games such dominos, scrabble (Cribbage would be a bonus). Also comfortable using/learning to use lounge smart TV to support other activities.
· Being able to liaise with extra care housing staff such as, asking carer to support a regular attendee to the group.
· To be creative and work with residents ideas for future sessions.
· Friendly and approachable.
· Have a positive, 'can do' attitude.
· Be able to actively listen.
· Be non-judgmental and respectful.
· Be able to maintain confidentiality.
· Be organised.
· Setting up including getting refreshments and resources ready.
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Will require a criminal record check (DBS)
- Will require references
When can I volunteer?
This opportunity has no specific location.
Together in the Hive Portsmouth
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Youth Commission
Guide Dogs Mobility Team