Working in agreement with Portsmouth City Council, we are based at Hilsea Lines delivering high-quality out door educational activities and experiences.
Our aim is to get people of all ages and backgrounds out into the woods, enjoying and noticing nature and the world around them and consequently feeling the benefits socially, emotionally, cognitively and physically. We are keen to find enthusiastic volunteers who can help me with my Wednesday and Saturday sessions, during term time.
The Volunteer Forest School assistant works under the guidance of the Forest School Leader who remains responsible for what happens at Forest School at all times.
- Unloading resources tools and equipment from car and transporting it to site
- Assist with the day to day running of the Forest School sessions.
- Carry out health and safety checks of the site and remove hazards (where possible), make safe or red flag them.
- Setting up activities and getting equipment and materials ready
- Contribute to planning and preparing the sessions
- Carry out regular assessments and plan according to participants' needs and in line with agreed policies.
- Follow and keep updated relevant risk assessments
- Maintaining the tools and equipment in safe condition
- Maintaining the Forest School site following the principle of "Leave no Trace" but be able to show people what to do.
- Willingness to help set up the environment and clear away at the end including moving equipment and resources.
- Be able to help the participants prepare food
- Be approachable and helpful to all participants.
- To wash up dishes and equipment as required.
- To engage with participants in the scheduled activities
- To help the Forest School Leader in any other activities as required.
- Limited Physical Access
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Will require a criminal record check (DBS)
- Will require references
When can I volunteer?
COMMITMENT 1 morning or afternoon session per week preferably the same session for the whole of the 6 or 7 week block. 2 - 3 hours every school break to discuss and prep for next block 1 hour after each block for supervision SERVICE Current Sessions:- Wednesday am : Home Ed group 2 - 12 years old with parents. Time 8.45 - 12.45. Actual contact time 10 - 12. Wednesday pm Tots group 6 months - 3 year olds with their parents. Time 12.00 - 15.15 Actual contact time 12.45 - 14.15 Saturday am Family Forest School for children between 2 and 12 Time 8.45 - 12.45. Actual contact time is 10 - 12
Top of Peronne Rd
More Opportunities from Exploring Nature - Forest School
Together in the Hive Portsmouth
Be Kind Movement
Portsmouth School Governors