Portsmouth Cathedral’s Events Assistants are the ‘face’ of our events, performances, and exhibitions, ensuring that visitors have a positive, enjoyable, and safe experience. The role will cover three areas: Front of House, Bar & Refreshments and Ticketing. The main tasks are -
All Areas - Look after visitors to make sure they are safe and happy
- Function as a good ambassador of Portsmouth Cathedral supporting the vision, strategy, and mission
- Answer visitor questions, queries, and problems, reporting to the appointed Portsmouth Cathedral Staff member if required
- Assist in emergency evacuations of the site (full training will be given)
- Represent the Cathedral by wearing the approved uniform
Front of House - Welcome visitors as they arrive for events
- Check tickets and show visitors to their seats/areas
- Sell programmes
- Bar & Refreshments
- Assist in setting up and clearing away refreshment service stations
- Check stock levels at the start and end of a shift
- Serve refreshments to visitors, including running bar facilities, tea & coffee stations, and other refreshment related services
- Cash handling, checking floats are correct at the start and end of a shift
- Use a card machine to take payments
- Comply with the Cathedral’s premises licence and Age Verification Policy when serving refreshments
Ticketing - Assist in setting up the box office serving point
- Check ticketing information when required, doing so in a manner which complies with GDPR
- Well presented, with a friendly and approachable personality; possess a sense of humour and can-do attitude.
- Enthusiasm for, and willingness to engage with people so that they experience a high standard of customer service.
- Patience and tact are required in interactions with the public.
- Ability to work without supervision after thorough training; comfortable with working alone.
- An interest in community, cultural, creative and heritage events
- Availability to volunteer for some evening and weekend events
- Limited Physical Access
Yes - we are happy for all to enquire about the role, and it will be decided on as a case-by-case basis.
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Will require references
In line with Safer Recruitment, we will require two references.
When can I volunteer?
Flexible hours (mostly evenings) – we would require Bar Assistants to sign up for at least one shift per month. Ideally, we would like volunteers to give a minimum of 3 months commitment however, the longer you commit to this role the more you will benefit.
More Opportunities from Portsmouth Cathedral