Portsmouth Cathedral Shop Assistant aim is to ensure that all who visit the shop take home a happy memory of their time in the Cathedral. The main tasks are - - Provide a first-class customer service to all visitors to the Cathedral Shop.
- Conduct shop opening and closing procedures.
- Operate the Electronic Point of Sale System; take card payments and handle cash.
- Receive and check deliveries of merchandise as directed.
- Replenish and attractively display merchandise as directed.
- Assist with stock taking as required.
- Assist Shop Manager with processing online orders.
- General housekeeping as directed.
- Assist customers with the purchase of tickets for Cathedral events.
Benefits for you: Not only would it give you the chance to build a variety of skills, but also gives you the chance to see some of the brilliant local artisans and vendors items we stock and work in a truly peaceful and historic place. We believe one of the biggest benefits of coming to volunteer here at Portsmouth Cathedral is the warm, welcoming, and supportive community that you would be a part of when volunteering here with us!
- Well presented, with a friendly and approachable personality; possess a sense of humour and can-do attitude.
- Enthusiasm for, and willingness to, promote shop merchandise and engage with people so that they experience a high standard of customer service.
- Patience and tact are required in interactions with the public.
- Ability to work without supervision after thorough training; comfortable with working alone.
- Previous IT knowledge (e.g., laptop, iPad) and experience of retail and customer service is an advantage.
- Whilst being a practising Christian is not a requirement, volunteers should be sympathy with the ethos and aims of the Cathedral as a Christian organisation.
- Limited Physical Access
Yes - we are happy for all to enquire about the role, and it will be decided on as a case-by-case basis.
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Will require references
In line with Safer Recruitment, we will require two references.
When can I volunteer?
10:00 – 12:30 or 12:30-15:00 Tuesday to Sunday (the Shop is closed on a Monday except for special events) Ideally, we would like volunteers to give a minimum of 3 months commitment however, the longer you commit to this role the more you will benefit.
More Opportunities from Portsmouth Cathedral
Home Start Portsmouth
Be There For Care