Purpose of role:
To assist our Detectives, people who may have learning difficulties, disabilities, or come from a background of mental health or substance misuse, to engage with and actively participate in their voluntary role with the Conan Doyle Collection. To help them learn new skills and gain work experience by supporting them with the activities they wish to complete.
Conan Doyle Collection, Central Library or other branch libraries when required.
· Supporting other people with a wide variety of needs, in many different ways - from catching a bus to our venue to being someone to support with access needs, to delivering a project or evaluating and marketing.
· Encouraging people to be as independent as possible in completing project tasks and their goals.
What training will we provide?
· Induction to the collection and the projects we are working on
· All relevant training
What will you gain in return?
· Experience of working with the Detectives
· Sharing your passion
· Taking part in Conan Doyle Collection projects and events
· Contributing to the preservation of Portsmouth’s heritage
· Experience of working as part of a large team, all working towards the same goal.
· Opportunity to be involved in the long term development of the Conan Doyle Collection
To regularly commit for a minimum of 2 hours, at the same time as the Conan Doyle volunteer you will be supporting.
What we need from you:
· To have good verbal and written communication skills
· To be motivated and able to work autonomously
· Experience or wishing to gain experience in working with people
· Excellent attention to detail
· To have good general IT skills, especially in Microsoft Office and Microsoft outlook
· To be able to support an individual to help them achieve their aims.
· Desirable interest in history, Conan Doyle and his links to Portsmouth
- Not suitable for under 18's
- Will require a criminal record check (DBS)
- Will require references
When can I volunteer?